to England and to Shalford, if you have just arrived here – we hope you will settle well and find warm welcome and support and friendships here. Welcome to too to this Ukraine Shalford Community Support resource webpage if you are a host or volunteer support too.
We hope this evolving page of local information and links to community support and resources in and around Shalford, as well as national and local authority and government links, will be useful to Ukrainian families and individuals arriving in this community, as well as hosts and volunteers seeking to support.
Ukraine Support Groups – Locally
GUkraine – the Guildford Help for Ukrainians support group
The Hub – Guildford Baptist Church Millmead, Fridays 10-12 noon
- Shalford Welcome Box – details to follow
- Thursdays @ St Marys:
Drop in Beginner English Language chat/learning informal sessions – free
– Thursdays 2pm -3pm, at St Mary’s Shalford. Starting 12th May, and then weekly during term-times (maybe during holidays too) – just turn up at 2pm if you’d like to learn or practise your English in very informal setting and meet others, or if you’re able to join in helping with informal teaching or English chat (with some qualified volunteer EFL teachers).
- Thursdays @ St Mary’s:
Weekly Drop-in Community Lunch – drop in and meet others locally – children welcome, hosts, guests, anybody. Free.
– Thursday lunchtimes 1pm St Mary’s Shalford (starting 12th May) – come and connect with others, practise English, hear news etc. Also to help with food, welcoming etc. Turn up 12.30pm if you are able to help prepare the food (eg soup, bread, cheese, salad)
- Communications Network: Connecting Together
– for those locally in and around Shalford area wishing to offer support, volunteer, teach, or host: to join the email group for this Ukraine Shalford Support Group to receive news & connections please email here at the moment to join the email group. If you’d like to join the Whatsapp group please email with your mobile number too.
Ukraine Shalford Support Group volunteers include people locally with EFL qualifications, others who have English teaching experience, translation support, people able to help with forms and appointments, trips out, cooking or supplying food for community meals or to support hosts, village sports and health clubs and more as connections grow. If you’re a group or local businesses able to offer free/discount classes, please get in touch if you’re interesting in joining a Shalford Buy-one-Gift-one initiative), etc.
Local Authority Support & Other Links
Surrey County Council Support for Ukrainian Nationals page
– with links for School Admissions, Family Support, Mental Health Support, Support Signposting for Hosts etc
Settling into the UK
Employment & Benefits Support
Arriving in the UK:
* Every guest arriving from Ukraine through the Homes for Ukraine scheme will be entitled to a £200 payment to help with subsistence costs. This will be provided by the local council.
* Register at local Jobcentre Plus:
– Register biometrics to get BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) if not already
– Register for benefit assessments and job-seeking at local Jobcentre Plus .
Open a Bank Account
Citizens Advice Guildford – for extra advice & support
Employment or Volunteering opportunities locally:
* If you have any opportunities for volunteering or employment for Ukrainians in and around Shalford in your organisation or business, please get in touch if you’d like to
* Guildford Jobcentre Plus – jobs link
* CAP Job Club at Millmead Baptist Church – Job Club runs on Wednesdays and has a lunch afterwards. Nick Walden runs it email@example.com
Register with a local GP
Register with a local Dentist
Hosting – Useful Links
RESET Homes for Ukraine Sponsor Toolkit – excellent & essential advice
Support payment – Hosts eligible on Homes for Ukraine scheme can receive an optional monthly ‘thank you’ £350 via GBC after home & DBS checks complete too
Safeguarding & Care
Safeguarding – DBS checks are carried out (free) on all Hosts (all adults living in host households) by GBC as part of the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
Education: Children – Local
Find out your local schools and apply for all school places through the central Surrey County Council Local Authority Schools Admission System
All nursery education needs to be independently sourced outside of the local authority and with nurseries direct.
Children’s Groups – Local
Extra English Language Support for Children – in and around Shalford:
to follow here when any starts up nearby
Toddler Groups: most 0-4 years
Monday mornings 9.30-11am – Shalford Parent & Toddler Group – St Mary’s Shalford. Free.
Tuesday mornings – 10-11.30 Little Stars Toddlers – Christ Church, Shamley Green
Wednesday mornings – 10-11.30 Trinity Toddlers, Parish Rooms, Bramley
Thursday mornings – 10-11.30 Chatterbox, Lawnsmead Hall, Wonersh
Friday mornings – 10-11.30 Millmead Baptist Church Guildford
Children’s Groups & Social
Rainbows – A new group hoping to start-up, please contact Hannah…
Shalford Brownies – Tuesday evenings in St Mary’s Shalford. Contact Hannah Roberts
Shalford Guides – Tuesday evenings in St Mary’s Shalford. Contact Marion Payne-Bird
Shalford Junior Sports…..cricket, tennis, dance – details to follow..
After school Ukraine parent & play time can be arranged in St Michael’s Peasmarsh Village Hall if anybody would value this – just get in touch.
Children’s Play Areas Nearby
Outside – Peasmarsh playground area
Outside – Shalford playground swings
Indoors – St Mary’s Church Children’s Corner -with toys for young children
English Language Support – Local
Informal English language drop in chat and learning………
Chit Chat Guildford – a long-running and popular international mix English language chit chat learning run by experienced volunteers. Particularly for those with a little English.
Wednesdays 9.30-11am, St Mary’s Quarry Street, Guildford. Contact: Andrea Campion-Smith
Shalford Beginner English language learning/chat informal group sessions- Ukraine Shalford Support Group (& chances to make contacts to arrange some volunteer 1-1 English language learning) – Adults 2-3pm Thursdays, free. Just drop in to join in and meet others (come for free lunch first together too 1-2pm)
The Hub at Millmead – Friday mornings for chatting in English
St Saviours’ Guildford English learning – latest details to follow
Shalford Groups, Clubs, Organisations & Social
Shalford Clubs, Groups, Health & Sports, Businesses
Groups, organisations and businesses, in and around Shalford. Please get in touch with any of these local groups or businesses to find out more details of what they provide and how you can join in.
Shalford & Peasmarsh Allotments – Shalford Community Council
Shalford Tennis Club – Matt
Shalford Parent & Toddler Group, St Mary’s Church Shalford – Monday mornings
Yoga & Pilates Groups:
* YY Yoga with Jitka, Mondays 6.30pm? St Mary’s Church, Shalford
* Beverley Townsley yoga classes on Wednesdays, 10 am – 11.30 am Shalford Village Hall
* Pilates – Heidi Monsen – various classes
The Dance Studio Shalford
Snooty Fox Café –
Shalford Barbers –
Shalford Thai Passorn Restaurant –
Chinese Takeaway –
Bicycle loan – Tillingbourne Road Shalford
Post office –
Choir Singing Together – St Mary’s church weekday evenings
If you’re a business or club or somebody seeking help to join in any of the above, please get in touch for more information about a Shalford’s Buy-one-Gift-one initiative: a scheme seeking to offer local people the chance to cover the costs for Ukrainian families and individuals to join in local groups and services in around around Shalford during their stay.
Social – Opportunities to Gather Together locally
Community social lunchtime drop-in – Thursdays in Shalford – drop in for informal simple community lunch together (or just for a coffee) in St Mary’s Church Shalford – Thursdays 12.30pm for helping to prepare; 1pm for eating. All ages. All welcome, from Shalford, Ukraine and anywhere. Just come along 12.30 to help or 1pm to eat and meet others.
Guildford ‘The Hub’ support cafe and connections – every Friday morning 10am-12pm at Open Grounds Cafe, Millmead, Guildford. Pop in, relax and meet other
Sources of Resources
Shalford Good-as-new or New Toys swap? –
Vouchers for New Clothes -?
Baby Basics Guildford – https://saintjohns.org.uk/babybasics
Guildford Foodback – North Guildford
Church of England Anglican village church in Shalford
St Mary’s Church Shalford – main Sunday Worship Service 10am all welcome
Many other nearby churches in Guildford and in nearby villages.
Quiet Prayer & Sanctuary & special Prayer Vigils for Ukraine
St Mary’s Shalford – open all day every day, particularly quiet for prayer in the lady chapel, with votive candle stand. Special Prayer Vigils for Ukraine and other occasions too.
Weekly Prayer Vigil for Ukraine – St Mary’s Quarry Street Guildford. Friday evenings x-x pm
Donations to Ukraine
Millie’s Guide to Learning some Ukrainian…..
Shalford Ukraine Support